From the very beginning, Delray Beach GC was destined to have distinction in many circles because it was designed by the legendary golf course architect Donald Ross. The City of Delray Beach had purchased land for the course in 1923 and a nine hole course was officially opened in 1926. That course continued in operation until forced to close because of World War II. After reopening the course in 1945, the City leaders voted to add a second nine holes which opened in 1950.
Touring professionals, on their way to Miami to play would stop over in Delray to loop the excellent Ross-designed layout. As Betty Jameson, LPGA Hall of Fame member and long-time Delray resident, recalls, “It was accurate in measurement, had excellent fairways and exceptional drainage.” In fact, it was listed as one of the top ten courses in the country at the time! As word spread, more and more players and club professionals began “hanging” at DBGC.
Today the Delray Beach Golf Course thrives as an accessible public venue that will intrigue golfers of all skill levels. We invite you to come play DBGC and become part of it’s History.